Friday, November 2, 2012

Couscous semolina (graine de couscous)

A part of my family comes from Algeria, when Algeria was French.

The French people who were living there were called, by Algerians : 
« black feet » (Pied Noir). We don’t really know why.

The most famous legend says French Black Feet were called this way because of their shoes. The Algerian population were usually naked feet. When Frenchs came, in the last 18th century, they were wearing shoes.

But in reality, they were called “black feet” during the middle of 20th century, almost 15 years before coming back to France.

Some others explanations come truly from the Amerindian tribes, the Black Feet.

This part of French History is still difficult and painful for a lot of people here : French or Algerian.

In my family, since we’re young, we use to eat oriental food.
My mother cooks a lot with oriental spices (caraway cumin, raz el hanout…), she makes tajine and the best couscous in the world.
I bake some divine cakes (montecao, cornes de gazelles) so sugared you don't have to think twice about it ... :)
In my family, children eat merguez sausages , when they begin to eat meat and we’re still using arabian words in our language. 

- How many sugars do you want in your coffee ?
- Zauge, chokrane (two, thanks). 

We don't have children we have Yaouled (child, in arabian).

It happened, some years, for Easter or even for Christmas, we ate a giant couscous.

Sometimes, my mother calls me :
-        Will you come for diner, on Sunday noon ?
-        Oh please, no, mum, I’m sorry, but we have a million things to do and …
-        I make a couscous …
-        … We’ll be four !


So, yesterday, I had a deep will of couscous semolina. I love semolina. I love the purity of its taste.

My mother tried twice to teach me how to cook couscous. But I’m lazy, it’s too long for me. So I tell her that I do prefer when she cooks it : it’s better ;)

So when I want to eat couscous semolina, I make this easy and quick recipe. 


You'll need, for 2 persons : 
  • 1 glass of semolina (no matter the glass's size. Well... not a bowl !)
  • 1 glass of water
  • 1 or 2 tablespoon of olive oil (it depends on your glass's size, but it's not a problem if you put 2 or 1, believe me)
  • Butter.
  • And because I'm greedy, some split almonds and raisins. Life is short ! 

Step 1 : 
With no fat content, make brown splits almonds for some minutes, until they become ... brown ...ok ...



Step 2 :
Add some hot water on your raisins, to make them swollen a little bit.



Step 3 : 
In a large bowl which can go in micro wave, pour one glass of semolina, one glass of water, one tablespoon (or two) of olive oil and some salt.






Step 4 :
Combine the mixture that with a fork and let it swell out for 5 minutes.


Step 5 ... :
Just let grill some merguez sausages ... Just to evade yourself for a diner ! 


Step 6 :
Put a lid over your semolina and in the micro wave for 1 minute or so, at the highest power.
Add some butter and remove seeds from each other with a fork.



Step 7 :
Pour the raisins drained off and the almonds.



That's it ! 


Bon appétit, friends ! 




Recapitulative for 2 persons : 
  • 1 glass of semolina (no matter the glass's size. Well... not a bowl !)
  • 1 glass of water
  • 1 or 2 tablespoon of olive oil (it depends on your glass's size, but it's not a problem if you put 2 or 1, believe me)
  • Butter.
  • Some split almonds and raisins. No obligation.

With no fat content, make brown splits almonds for some minutes, until they become ... brown ...ok ...

Add some hot water on your raisins, to make them swollen a little bit.

In a large bowl which can go in micro wave, pour one glass of semolina, one glass of water, one tablespoon (or two) of olive oil and some salt.

Combine the mixture that with a fork and let it swell out for 5 minutes.

Put a lid over your semolina and in the micro wave for 1 minute or so, at the highest power.

Add some butter and remove seeds from each other with a fork.

Pour the raisins drained off and the almonds.

4 comments:

  1. My father is a black foot, too :) He was born in Morocco when my grand-parents were working there as engineers (they have since then returned to France). We don't use Arabic words, though, but we do love couscous :) Sadly, we don't find merguez sausages here, but I use the semolina with to make taboulés and vegetable gratins, and all kinds of good stuff (in the US and Canada, people very, very rarely use couscous/semolina)! Oh, you should check my spicy chicken and roasted peppers recipes, you would love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a coincidence ;)
      Did you post a taboulé's recipe, on your blog ? But, I'm going to check your chicken, for sure !! ... I'm hungry !

      Delete
  2. I live in the US and love couscous. However, I'm not sure if mine is made from semolina. I will have to look and try to find it to make this dish. Those sausages (which I know we can not get) look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Semolina is the only translation I found for "graines de couscous". It is just the main ingredient of couscous ;)
      I didn't know merguez couldn't be easily found in US. Too bad because they are really delicious. If one day, you've got the opportunity to taste one, don't hesitate. :)

      Delete