Monday, December 31, 2012

Macarons meringues filled with chestnut spread (meringues macarons à la crème de marrons)...

Some days, in cooking life, are better than others...
Some days, you succeed all you begin.
Every ingredients between your hand become gold. 
Every perfume combine perfectly.
Some days, the Cooking God is in your kitchen, with you ! 

This day was not today for me ...

I don't know where was the Cooking God, today, but I can certify, he wasn't in MY kitchen ! 

Riddle : What is this ?



It was supposed to be tiny meringues christmas trees ... 
It was supposed to be like THIS : 


www.lapopottedemanue.com

Finally, pitiful flat disc !

But as I didn't want to throw away my meringues disc, I've tried to find a solution and I remembered an old recipe I never dared to cook. 


It was now or never ! 

Cooking God was not with me but there were one or two angels, because, I had whole cream in my fridge and chestnut spread in my kitchen cupboard ! 
YES ! 
I could try my recipe ! 

This must be baked the day before you want to eat them. 

Here what you'll need, for 30 ruined tiny Christmas tree or 30 wonderful flat disc :
  • 2 eggs whites 
  • 50 grammes of sugar
  • 50 grammes of icing sugar
  • One pinch of salt
  • One vanilla pod (or one tablespoon of vanilla extract)
  • Some decorations
  • And... something very important in theory ... a piping bag.

For the garniture, you'll need : 
  • 200 grammes of chestnut spread
  • 30 cl of heavy cream extra cold
  • One tablespoon of icing sugar.

Your oven must be preheated at 90°C (190°F / Th 3).

Step 1 : 
Open your vanilla pod and add the seeks to the two sugars. 
If you use vanilla extract, don't add it at this step. I'll tell you ... Trust me ...


Step 2 : 
With a pinch of salt, whip up your eggs whites, until they are very solid, tough. 
When it's done, add your two sugars mixed, tablespoon by tablespoon. 
Then, you can pour your vanilla extract. 


Step 3 :
... Fill your piping bag with the beaten eggs whites. 



Step 4 : 
At this step, I was still very confident, sure of myself ! My Xmas trees would be marvelous. I was imagining my mother telling me, with ecstasy : "Did you really bake this ? Dear, this is wonderful !".
And with modesty, I would have answer how much it was easy to make ... 
Never be too sure of yourself ! Cooking God will punish you ! 
Well ... So, try to make some Xmas tree. 


At this point, I realized my dreams failed. 


With courage but no more faith, I used decorations. 
Believe me, at this point, no one could enter in the kitchen. I was a bear. Ready to eat everyone who could have a word : "What the Hell is this ???".
But my little family knows me and they don't ask... Until I find a solution. 
Oh yes, sorry, I forgot ... 
My daughter dared to tell me : "It looks like snowmen's pooh"...
And she ran. Fast. VERY FAST. 
And far ... VERY FAR ! RUN, Forrest, RUN !!

WELL ...
In the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Then, stop the oven and let the meringues in for the night. 

Step 5 : 
The day after, whisk your heavy cream EXTRA COLD (very important point to succeed a Chantilly) and add one tablespoon of icing sugar.
Remember, it can take 10 minutes or so to see it becoming a real Chantilly. 



Step 6 : 
Pour the chestnut spread and stir slowly to incorporate he mixture.



That's it ! 



Step 7 : 
Fill your wonderful (yes, because they are !) little meringues as macarons. 
Finally, let them in the fridge for one hour.



Believe me, my guests just loved it ! 
Bon appétit ! 


I wish you to spend a good end of year ! 


Recapituative for 30 ruined tiny Christmas tree or 30 wonderful flat disc :

  • 2 eggs whites 
  • 50 grammes of sugar
  • 50 grammes of icing sugar
  • One pinch of salt
  • One vanilla pod (or one tablespoon of vanilla extract)
  • Some decorations
  • And a piping bag.

For the garniture, you'll need : 
  • 200 grammes of chestnut spread
  • 30 cl of heavy cream extra cold
  • One tablespoon of icing sugar.

Your oven must be preheated at 90°C (190°F / Th 3).

Open your vanilla pod and add the seeks to the two sugar. If you use vanilla extract, don't add it at this step. 

With a pinch of salt, whip up your eggs whites, until they are very solid, tough. 
When it's done, add your two sugars mixed, tablespoon by tablespoon. 
Then, you can pour your vanilla extract. 

Fill your piping bag with the beaten eggs whites. 

Make some little discs and decorate them. 

In the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Then, stop the oven and let the meringues in for the night. 


The day after, whisk your heavy cream EXTRA COLD and add one tablespoon of icing sugar.
Remember, it can take 10 minutes or so to see it becoming a real Chantilly. 

Pour the chestnut spread and stir slowly to incorporate he mixture.

Fill your little meringues as macarons. 
Finally, let them in the fridge for one hour.


10 comments:

  1. OMG, you're so funny :) Your poor daughter ;) I think your macarons look amazing and they were surely incredibly delicious, I'm jealous! I love the idea of the chestnut paste in the chantilly, that must be sooooooooooo yummy!!!!!! I'll have to try :) HAPPY AND TASTY NEW YEAR my dear friend!!! Grosses bises canadiennes à vous tous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all, Dr CaSo ! In france, years ago, there were a song called "les yeux revolver" (eyes like gun ?). When I'm angry, that's how my family call me ! But it means my daughter is very courageous ! Well, she knows how much I love her. No risk ;)
      For those meringues... I didn't eat them. Don't know why. But my friends and my husband loved them. So I suppose they were really good :)
      Happy new year to you too, friend ! Hope to keep on reading your own adventures !

      Delete
  2. Axelle-and yet you pulled it off! Brava! Brava! Brava! I am now going to enter the kitchen and roll a cake with my daughter. It is 4:30pm December 31. I will slice it and serve it at 12:05am 1 January 2013. Right before we fall off a cliff! Ha Ha Ha! Just a little american political humor thrown in. Really, I need champagne and "HAPPY NEW YEAR!" and a kiss first and then the rolled cake and then we can fall off a cliff. I'll tell you about the cake tomorrow. Happy New Year! Regards, Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Jamie !! :D
      I hope you had Champagne !! HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ! And thank you for all your comments, Jamie :)

      Delete
  3. I love how you saved this recipe -- I'm confident your finished macarons were fabulous! Happy New Year Axelle -- my dog woke me up, so here I sit at 2:45. No doubt he was awoken by the people in the building who were making merry upstairs at 2 a.m. But when an old doggy asks to go out, you don't discuss it - you just take him!

    thank you for blogging this year - you have inspired me and I'm sorry I haven't always told you - I love your photos and recipes. Have a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Susan, here, there were people totally drunk running in the streets and yelling !
      I understand so much you and your dog :) To my mother, that's the same for cats ! When they want to go out, you have to obey ! The world upside down !
      I was awake too and thinking about the day I would have to let my children get out at night without us ... NO WAY TO SLEEP AGAIN !!
      Thank you for commenting time to time, Susan and thank you for what you say. It brights my day.
      Happy new year, too.

      Delete
  4. Axelle-The rolled cake was lots of fun! Thank you for the recipe! And the idea to make it and the photographs. Our rolled cake was the same cake recipe as yours. We rolled cherry preserves in the middle and iced it with a white cream cheese frosting. Little edible gold balls decorated the top. It looked new yearish and was delicious.
    I have a request. Could you show us how to do duck sometime this new year? I have access to home grown duck on occasion. Last time the pin feathers were still on it so I skinned it and popped it in my crockpot. I didn't want to pluck each pin feather with a tweezer. Anyway, it was tasty enough but skinning it was a disaster and it looked terrible. "Help, Axelle. I bet she can do this!" I thought. Can you? Would you? Any way, I look forward to a whole year of preparing your recipes! You have enlarged my horizons. Regards, Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jamie, I'm SO happy to know it was a success !! I was under pressure !! I'm really relived and truly glad to know you and your daughter liked it ! Your ideas of garniture and frosting are very original and it must be very good ! You can use what you want in this cake, that's the reason why we like it.
      For the duck, I'm sorry, the only recipe we know is duck cutlet on BBQ. Strangely, we don't find duck easily here. It's weird, because we eat foie gras. But I never saw an entire duck. And I never ate it, cooked. Even my mother in law, who is a great cook, she never cooked a duck. Why ?... You're giving me questions I have to resolve ! :)

      Delete
  5. P.S. Axelle-I do not have the nerve to make meringues. They stick to the paper. Always. They break when I try to get them off. Disaster. Pavlova is so tasty but no can do. Sigh Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jamie, one day, when you'll find courage, try mines. No those ones because they are tiny. But those I made months ago. I promise.
      Never try to get them off the paper until they are not cold ! They must cool, before.
      I love Pavlova ! I wanted to make one for Xmas but my family stopped me ... :)
      One day, I'll post a pavlova recipe.

      Delete