Thursday, March 28, 2013

My "I-need-to-clean-my-freezer-and-cupboard" ratatouille...

We all know Ratatouille.
Thank to a small rat called Remi and Disney !

But this traditional provencal (exactly from Nice) recipe needs a long time to be correctly prepared.

I mean, if you want to make the real one ratatouille, you have to cook each vegetable one by one.
When one vegetable is cooked, you take it away from the pan and cook the following one.

It takes time that I don't have, when my day was full and I must make diner for my family, you already know that.  

So, I always have and use frozen food in. Freezer is one of my best friend.
Here's a fast, easy ratatouille's recipe. It won't taste as good as the traditional one (that I'll show you in summer, I promise) but it's flavorous as well.
We must not be too exigeant with ourselves !

Here what you'll need : 
  • 300 grammes of frozen and grilled eggplants 
  • 300 grammes of grilled and frozen red and yellow peppers
  • 2 zucchini (I just had one, that's good as well)
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 pulp tomatoes in can of 250 grammes or so (or 3 fresh tomatoes)
  • Olive oil
  • 2 bay leafs
  • Herbes de Provence
  • 1 teaspoon of white sugar

Step 1 :
Let your frozen vegetables defrost. To go faster, I rinse them slowly with cold water.



Step 2 :
As always, in olive oil, let onion brow 5 minutes on a low fire with salt, then add garlic.


Step 3 :
When it's a little bit caramelized, add your zucchini cut in pieces and let them cook for 5 minutes on a medium fire. 


Step 4 : 
Because we're tired and we don't have time to lose, cut defrosted vegetables with scissors ! 
No fear !


I love those colors together.

Step 5 : 
After 2-3 minutes, pour tomatoes, herbs, leafs and sugar, this last ingredient is not obligatory.


Messy dish ! 

Let cook for 20 minutes on a low fire.

Bon appétit ! 


Recapitulative : 

  • 300 grammes of frozen and grilled eggplants 
  • 300 grammes of grilled and frozen red and yellow pepper
  • 2 zucchini (I just had one, that's good as well)
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 pulp tomatoes in can of 250 grammes or so (or 3 fresh tomatoes)
  • Olive oil
  • 2 bay leafs
  • Herbes de Provence
  • 1 teaspoon of white sugar
Let your frozen vegetables defrost. To go faster, I rinse them slowly with cold water.

As always, in olive oil, let onion brow 5 minutes on a low fire with salt, then add garlic.

When it's a little bit caramelized, add your zucchini cut in pieces and let them cook for 5 minutes on a medium fire. 

Cut defrosted vegetables with scissors ! 

After 2-3 minutes, pour tomatoes, herbs, leafs and sugar, this last ingredient is not obligatory.

Let cook for 20 minutes on a low fire.


10 comments:

  1. Dear Axelle-This looks good. I don't think I can do it, though. When I use frozen vegetables in a soup, it's no problem. When I use them in a frying pan, they always are soggy and a mess. What am I doing wrong? Regards-Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jamie, I understand your problem because I had it for a long time. I found this solution : let them defrost totally ! This way, water will go away. If, as me, you don't have this time, rinse them under a straight cold water. It will just help to go faster.
      Then, when I cook them, I always do it on a HIGH fire . Because, they are already cooked. They just need to be sealed. Then, I can low the fire for 10 minutes. But you're right, they are not as crunchy as fresh vegetables, but it helps me a lot when I'm in hurry. ;)
      Anyway, how are you, Jamie ? You never told me, how old are your children ?

      Delete
    2. Axelle-Thank you for the answer to the frozen vegetable mystery. It makes sense to thaw them thoroughly so as to get rid of the excess water. I'll have to give that a try! My children are 20, 19, 17, 16, and 14. Three older girls and then the boys. Everyone is almost taller than me now! I have been navigating your new blog design. Fancy! Regards-Jamie

      Delete
    3. p.s. Axelle- as you are busy setting up your new design, please note: Do you mean "come to dinner" or "come to diner"? The meanings are quite different. Jamie

      Delete
    4. Dear Jamie, thank you for your answer. I love numerous family. It's real life. I'm happy for having 2 children but I was dreaming about 4. This will stay a regret for me :)
      And yes, I understand for the size ... My 10 years old girl is almost taller than me too ! Young people don't have any respect for us ...
      PS : I made the correction. I wanted to say : come to eat with me. Come for dinner :)

      Delete
  2. What good suggestions, now I know what I have been doing wrong with frozen vegetables. Thanks Axelle!
    love and prayers, jep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will work and you won't be deluded, Jep ! :)
      Very friendly.

      Delete
  3. Hi Axelle,
    This looks delicious! Ever since Remi made a grand entrance and enchanted my kids, I promised them to cook ratatouille, and that was how many years ago? Yikes!! I'm a bad mommy! I have not cooked it yet!!
    I feel guilty each time I see a ratatouille recipe! I better get on with this dish soon! And surprise them!
    Thanks for the reminder! Your dish looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce ! Don't worry, you're not a bad mommy ! :D
      If you cook them this recipe, it won't taste as the REAL one, but I promise, they should like it and you can win some other peace's month before this summer, and the true recipe ! :)

      Delete
  4. I love ratatouille! This looks delicious! I am amazed that you can get pre-grilled frozen eggplant and peppers. We don't have anything like that in our store here. Those would be great to have in the freezer for quick dinners, soups, and sauces. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete